[LRFlex] Re: UFO - Unidentified Floating Object.

  • From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:00:17 -0700

on 7/3/05 9:42 PM, David Young at telyt@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 03/07/2005 at 9:34 PM Doug Herr wrote:
>
>> Red-necked Grebe.  The light-colored one is albinistic.  Very nice photo.
>>
>> Doug Herr
>
> Hi Doug!
>
> Are you telling me that the (presumably female) white bird is an albino, and
> that the babies would not normally be striped like zebras? Is albino-ism (if
> there is such a word) common in the species?
>
> Thanks for the ID, and for your comment. :-)
>
> Cheers!

Can't tell if the albinistic one is the male or female.  Zebra stripes are
normal on the chicks.  As far as I know albinism is not common in this
species, or in any wild bird.  Because they're much more visible, predators
see them more easily than normal colored birds, and prey also see them
coming sooner than normal birds.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com