[LRflex] Re: Twilight of Film Photography

  • From: Charles Tuthill <cthemba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:02:00 -0800 (PST)

I'm new to the forum, but I thought I'd add my two cents.

  I agree with the comment that David made about film being with us at least
for our own lifetime.

  I recently read about photo clubs that are using the same gum  bichromate
process that Demachy used at the turn of the century.

  There are still people, who for whatever reason, make deguerreotypes and
callotypes.
  These processes are "dead," but if  you are willing to put up with  some
inconvenience in tracking  down materials, I see no reason why someone should
not be able to shoot  with film for the foreseeable future.  Daguerretypes were
 supposedly dead by the 1850's...

  --Charlie

David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Kohyanga LeBarbu wrote (in part):
> But film will become a restricted product, not available in all drugstores.
> If you can live with the choice one had in 1960 in terms of variation of
> chemistry then you are happy.
Kohyanga is right.  Just as you can still buy  vacuum tubes for old
stereos (and even some modern ones!) film will be with us a long time.
The choices may be reduced and the films may end up coming from former
East Bloc countries, Russia, India, Viet Nam or even Mongolia. But
somewhere, someone with a low cost of production will make a decent
product manufactured on surplus equipment from Ilford, Agfa, Fuji or Kodak.

Eventually, those who wish it may have to seek it out. But it will still
be available, for well past the lifetimes of us all.

My biggest concern is not the twilight of film, but rather, as quoted in
the article...
> When survivors of Hurricane Katrina returned to their devastated homes
> in New Orleans or Mississippi, almost without fail they sought family
> photographs--that one tangible link with their past. Today we're
> ensuring that in the future those photographs won't even exist.
Unlike negatives, which can be tossed in box and, so long as it's cool
and dry, will last a lifetime... digital photos are rather ethereal.
They can be made to last, but that will require consistent copying every
few years, and converting to new storage formats as they come along.
Serious photographers, whether professional or amateur, such as those
here, will likely take the steps to protect their shots.  But the masses
have no idea what they will lose...  but lose them, they will.

It's all rather sad, actually.

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt