[LRflex] Re: Try a Novoflex Kit

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:06:16 +0100

If you are thinking of Novoflex, then try and find the Noflexar T lenses
with a Pigriff-C or D (I've just seen a C-Version 400 online for 290 euros).
The system has a front grip with two options for remote release - cable
or electronic - and a rear (camera-side) grip for focusing. For use with
a tripod/monopod, you have to rotate the front (release) grip  so that
it ends up parallel to the lens tube to make enough room for a tripod head..

It takes a little getting used to, but it is very fast and and quite
steady even at longer shutter speeds.

If you have a camera with an electronic socket for a remote release,
you'll need a dedicated lens-camera adapter cable.
I'm not sure whether Novoflex still have these, the follow-focus lenses
have been discontinued for quite a while.
Without one, it's more than difficult to hold the lens, focus and press
the shutter button on the camera body at the same time.

There is a socket in the side of the front handgrip that takes a small
jack-plug that connects to a simple on/off microswitch inside the grip -
it doesn't work correctly on Canon DSLRs with proprietary "stereo jack"
remote release cables, and I haven't yet found a mono version to try it
out yet.

It releases ok for the first shot, but doesn't reset the camera for
subsequent shots.

If you have a screw-threaded mechanical socket for remote on your
camera, you can connect it with a cable to a release socket in the back
of the lensâ?? grip directly behind the button. The release button has two
settings - long travel for mechanical cable use and, when you twist and
push it in until it locks, a short travel that operates the microswitch
for electronic release.

It is definitely not a lens for carrying through airport security checks
:-)

Cheers
Douglas (the one in Germany)