[LRflex] Re: Totality - for Peter S.

  • From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 22:55:23 -0700

First off, David and Aram, thanks for your wonderful telephoto photos of totality. As I said earlier, I knew I could count on you for those pictures, so I could mostly concentrate on watching my first total eclipse.

Re. my wide shot:  When I spoke of "Olympus colors," I was speaking metaphorically.  :-)   Like David, I only shoot Raw. Just before totality, I set my camera to settings that I knew worked just after sunset, figuring that the eclipse would be similar. Normally, I use a "Sunny" setting for such conditions. That gave me the too-blue picture I first posted, which really did seem Olympus/Fujichrome blue.

What was better?  The "Shade" setting, which expected light from a normal blue sky. This somehow displayed the more whitish metallic blue sky that my eyes had perceived.  Since I shot Raw and the color temp settings weren't baked in, it was a simple matter to change the setting in Capture One, tweak it a little, and all was well.

David, you asked if I saw the sunset in many directions.  Indeed, I did.  Where we were didn't have a clear 360 degree view, but there were good sectional views southeast (shown on my picture), north and west. I saw them briefly as I spun slowly around to take them in near the beginning of totality. And yes, I did feel the cooler breeze as we got toward totality. I noted something else very interesting.  During the early partial phase, I noticed that the sun felt less and less warm on the skin of my bare arms, long before I perceived any dimming of light. Katya noticed it, too.  It makes sense--I think we feel temperature linearly, but we see light levels logarithmically.

When blown up to 100%, my eclipsed sun also has a lot of purple fringing, which extends well into the dark moon. Capture One has an adjustment to minimize this, but it wasn't enough.  So I created a mask and partially desaturated the moon and its outer edge. I also masked the bottom of the photo, and the areas of sunset color, and gave each an exposure level and color temperature that made them appear as I remembered.  A lot of work for what I initially considered a quickie grab shot!  But I'm very happy with the result.

--Peter

Hi Peter!

Glad you like the shot.  I rather do, too!

Unklike Peter Klein, I only shoot raw.  The "Olympus colours" he
refers to are
in the in-camra jpeg processing.

The thin red line (so to speak) is  a direct result of using the
Telyt 400/6.8.
  It is a simple achromat (cemented doublet) and so suffers form some
chromatic
aberration... the purple fringing.

I have re-done the image, reducing the red, to compensate. This
leaves, to my
eye, a smaller blue band.  Reducing the blue, however, leaves a
yellow band!
Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chance.

The red at the 1 and 3:30 (ish) o'clock positions are solar flares
(prominences).  The rest is good ol' CA.

I love the lens as [a] it is incredibly light, being just two
elements and a
lot of air - great for a wildlife guy to carry in the bush - [b] it is
incredibly sharp and optimized for wide open use (at 6.8 that's a
necessity!)
and because [c] it breaks into two, for easy carrying in a camera
bag.  But it
does suffer a little CA, which I neglected to correct the first time
around.

The corrected version is here:
http://www.furnfeather.ca/eclipse/2017_Corona-REV.html

The original is here: http://www.furnfeather.ca/eclipse/2017_Corona.html

Better?

Thanks for looking and asking!  (Somebody's gotta keep me on my toes!)

David.

Hi David. I agree with Aram. That is an excellent image. Could you
explain to
me what created the thin purple ring between the dark of the moon and
the
corona of the sun? Was that a filter being used, a function of the
Olympus
much like Peter referred to in his posting about taking toning down
the Oly
blue tendency, or something else? It's beautiful, but I don't what
caused it.

Best regards,
Peter Stevens