[LRflex] To DMR or Wait?

  • From: "Christopher Birchenhall" <crbirchenhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:05:49 +0000

LRFlexers

I have been away for a little while. Looks like last month gave you
all had lots to talk about. Can I first belatedly add my support for
the R8/R9 design. After my initial doubts with a R8 I am happy with
the use and looks of an Anthracite R9 replacement. In part, that
contentedness comes with a system not just a camera body. The R9 +
100mm Apo Macro is a particularly rewarding combination for me. It
certainly managed to place itself next to my SL2 in my affections.
Having said that the R9 has had to face some pretty tough competition
from Nikon DSLRs and I was beginning to wonder if Leica flex had a
future for me. On the assumption that the R10 will turn out to be a
trimmed down version of the S2, particularly in terms of price, then
hope remains.

Now here is the question: I may have the opportunity to get a DMR and
I am faced with the quandry whether to take the plunge or wait for the
R10. I suspect the price of the R10 will be significantly higher than
the DMR and may require at least ROM lenses to make good use of it -
all my current lenses are 3-cam. Yet the DMR has had a checked history
and by all accounts makes for a bulky/heavy combination. I am not sure
bulk is a major issue for me. I am not that uncomfortable with bulky
Nikons. Weight can be problem, particularly if there are issues of
balance. One other feature may become important. I fear rainy weather
may be increasingly the norm for us in the UK if this last year is
anything to go by. I recently spent a wet - the rain never stopped -
but rewarding day out with a well sealed Nikon. My fear is that I
could not do that with the R9/DMR combination.

Any advice would be warmly welcomed, Chris B