[LRflex] Tim's request.

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 20:09:46 -0800

Tim Bedsted wrote:

>Good work, looking forward to a nice true 1600 ISO DM-R shot :)
>
>Cheers,
>Tim

Hi Tim!

Here is the answer to your request for a "true" DMR shot at ISO 1600.
Take a look at the grain (er, noise)  in Lisa's face.  Or, for that
matter... just about anywhere.  This was shot under tungsten light, and
normally I'd simply discard it as worthless. As it is, I have not made
huge efforts to balance the colours.  Still, in this case, it may yet
serve a purpose!

This is a full sized shot (1.4mb .jpg) that was developed and tweaked
exactly the same as all the others in this series.

No matter what anyone thinks of the comparisons between Canon and the
DMR using Peter's "fiddle" with the ISO & intentional under exposure, I
believe this shot will prove beyond a doubt that his system  works far
better than Leica's own!  Moreover, the first converted .tif file
(29mb!) is even worse!  The conversion to .jpg softens a lot of the
noise, in the compression process!  Yikes!

However, deciding whether Peter's "fiddle is worth it, compared to the
DMR's native ISO 1600 setting, should be a no brainer! Look, and see for
yourself!

I hope all who've followed this discussion found it interesting and,
perhaps, even informative.

As I told Aram, all these shots will come down, Wednesday, due to ISP
restrictions on web space.  Meanwhile,the link can be found, in the
lower right,  at:

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Noise.htm

Now, if you'll all excuse me... I must take Roses out to dinner.  :-)

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Leica Reflex Forum web-page: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm