[LRflex] Re: Thoughts on DSLRs wanted

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 13:19:43 +0100

Chris,

I used to be a Canon (and Nikon) autofocus hater too. Until I won an EOS 500 N in a competition.

Getting used to that free camera definitely made it easier to get used to the controls of Canon DSLRs and to autofocus cameras as such.

I bought one of the first reasonably priced Canon DSLRs (300D) and, more than satisfied with the quality, upgraded to a Canon 20D some time later. Both of these are now used with Leica, Zeiss, Yashica, Pentax, M42, Tamron, Voigtländer, Sigma and Rollei lenses. Also with Topcon/Exakta without infinity focus and Canon FD lenses with an adapter with a built in correction lens for infinity focus. If I had any of their lenses, I could also use Nikon, Pentax K, Hasselblad, Bronica and probably quite a few other brands with appropriate adapters.

Oh, I almost forgot, you can use Canon and other brand AF lenses on it too :-)

So much to vesatility - the downside is, first: you can only get AF confirmation adapters for a few of these mounts Second: auto exposure doesn't work quite as it should due to an electronic correction curve specifically for Canon lenses built in to the camera bodies. Canon viewfinders are also a bit dim.

The great advantage is that you have access to an enormous legacy of excellent lenses at very reasonable prices.

Adapters are widely available. Most are very good, some are not. Prices range between 19,99 and almost 200 euros - so far, I have found you get what you pay for in terms of quality. For example, the Kindai adapter for Rollei QBM is excellent and expensive, the Quenox QBM adapter should be delivered with a handle to throw it away with. M42 adapters should have a mechanism to depress the aperture pin (as must Rollei adapters), unless you have earlier lenses with the option of locking the aperture for manual or automatic use. This was quite common on early Rollei and Voigtländer QBM and Pentax and Zeiss Icarex M42 lenses.

BTW, if you love wides, you can't go far wrong with the wide zooms from Tokina. I have a 12-24 (makes the widest end 19 mm with the 20 D crop factor. They now also make a model with 10 (=16) mm shortest focal length and the quality of the lenses and the results they deliver is as good as anthing I've ever used before and they are reasonably priced too.

I would probably opt for the Canon 5D II as a full-frame option, but by now, I've got used to using the lenses with the 1.6 factor crop factor of the 20D. It quite honestly hardly makes a difference after a while.

My suggestion: pick up a s/h DSLR body and an adapter and try some digital just for a change without having to invest too much - 20D bodies are reasonably cheap now.

Cheers
Douglas

Chris L wrote:
Of course I'm tempted by the idea of getting a DSLR (free shooting, immediate
results, etc.), but the choices which fit my needs are limited.
I'd love to hear some thoughts, especially from people who have actually used
them.

Basically, I'm looking for a full-frame DSLR to use my R-lenses on (and Rolleiflex
& M42 ones too, if possible).
While most focal lengths are covered by my R lenses, I still like to use the
other lenses for various reasons.
Non full-frame isn't the way to go for me (love my wides!).
Dust on sensor may be a big problem for me (I change lenses often & in bad
conditions).

The current and foreseeable choices are:

A) Canon full-frame with adapters.
Pros: Can use R, Rolleiflex & M42 lenses with adapter. Up to 24 Mbit
resolution. Sensor cleaning on latest model. Relatively affordable.
Cons: Must file mirror to use my favourite wides. Manual aperture only.
Focussing not optimized for MF. Many/most functions wasted for my uses. I hate
Canon...  ;-)

B) Leica R10
Pros: No manual aperture only & MF problems.  Probably a nice body which I
would feel more comfortable with.
Cons: Not out yet (if ever). Probable (unaffordable) price!!!!!!!!!  Won't use my
Rolleiflex & M42 lenses.

C) Stick with film (at least for some time yet). Pros: No money spent on expensive DSLR. Probably more & cheaper alternatives in the future. Possibly better aesthetic results (more careful shooting)
Cons: Film & development costs. Waiting for results. Lower high-ISO performance.

Ideas are welcome & especially feedback from Canon DSLR + adapter users.

Chris