[LRflex] Thoughts on DSLRs wanted

  • From: Chris L <speleo_karst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 03:40:33 -0800 (PST)

Of course I'm tempted by the idea of getting a DSLR (free shooting, immediate
results, etc.), but the choices which fit my needs are limited.
I'd love to hear some thoughts, especially from people who have actually used
them.

Basically, I'm looking for a full-frame DSLR to use my R-lenses on (and
Rolleiflex & M42 ones too, if possible).
While most focal lengths are covered by my R lenses, I still like to use the
other lenses for various reasons.
Non full-frame isn't the way to go for me (love my wides!).
Dust on sensor may be a big problem for me (I change lenses often & in bad
conditions).

The current and foreseeable choices are:

A) Canon full-frame with adapters.
Pros: Can use R, Rolleiflex & M42 lenses with adapter. Up to 24 Mbit
resolution. Sensor cleaning on latest model. Relatively affordable.
Cons: Must file mirror to use my favourite wides. Manual aperture only.
Focussing not optimized for MF. Many/most functions wasted for my uses. I hate
Canon...  ;-)

B) Leica R10
Pros: No manual aperture only & MF problems.  Probably a nice body which I
would feel more comfortable with.
Cons: Not out yet (if ever). Probable (unaffordable) price!!!!!!!!!  Won't use
my Rolleiflex & M42 lenses.

C) Stick with film (at least for some time yet).
Pros: No money spent on expensive DSLR. Probably more & cheaper alternatives in
the future. Possibly better aesthetic results (more careful shooting)
Cons: Film & development costs. Waiting for results. Lower high-ISO performance.

Ideas are welcome & especially feedback from Canon DSLR + adapter users.

Chris