[LRflex] Re: Thinking with Doug...

  • From: wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:39:42 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx> wrote:

>A tip from the other Doug:
>Start by choosing big birds that are more likely to walk threateningly
>towards you than fly away in fright. (yes I know, it would look better
>with feet)
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/78109-2/Goose.jpg
>or creep up on them from behind
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/11119-4/MG_3753_edited_1.jpg
>while they're busy eating
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/11180-4/MG_3361_edited_1.jpg
>Cheers
>Douglas
>
>Aram Langhans wrote:
>> Marc.  Maybe not what Doug would post, but I really like this one:
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/Nature+III/L1000294_2.jpg.html
>>
>> Something about it.  I can see it framed on a wall.

Good examples, Douglas.  (I like Aram's photo too!).  One thing Douglas hasn't
mentioned is that a sliding-focus lens is much easier to use on active subjects
than a rotating-ring focus lens; the manual-focus lenses that are best for
active creatures IMHO are the Leica 400mm and 560mm f/6.8 Telyts, and the
Novoflex 400mm f/5.6 T-Noflexar.

BTW Douglas even though the goose's feet are "missing" you allowed space for
them so that we can imagine they're there.  Good work.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com