[LRflex] Re: The very last photos of 2010

  • From: Miha Golobic <miha.golobic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 09:56:05 +0100

Hello Richard,

Hello Miha,
>   I've been away from 'Film' for so long -not entirely voluntarily- that my
> neural pathways in my ol' brain locker aren't giving me the answers as to
> 'Why',

 I like the integrity of film-based photography.

> but there appears to be multiple technical issues with the images you've
> shared.
> First thought I had when I saw the images was - nice aesthetic 'content'
> and
> immediately the second was 'Were these shot with a Diana/Lomo camera?'.
> Being a
> Mamiya C with the reliable 80mm base lens likely rules out 'body/lens'
> issues
> fogging the film, the highlights are rendered/printed quite oddly which
> makes me
> wonder about how the film was handled/processed and the nature of the
> chemistry
> you used both for the film and the prints,

The scene was lit by spot lights, so to preserve some detail on faces, I had
to let the highlights go while printing.
This could have been tamed a bit by 'pull' development, but I had to 'push'
the film while processing it as there was not enough light for the film I've
used. Fomapan 200 needs 6 min in TMAX developer when normally exposed, but
in this particular case it got 12'.

The prints where developed in Moersch Eco 4812 - a natural tone developer,
similar to Kodak Dektol in tone, but as the name suggests it contains no
metol or hydrochynon:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/34465-Moersch-ECO-4812-Paper-Developer-1-Liter?cat_id=301

and there are odd color variations

across the prints/scans which could be an artifact of the scanner - I guess.

You are correct here - I don't have even have a scanner, so I've taken snaps
of the prints with my Panasonic g1 camera. The prints have  a warm hue at
the top and a cool one at the bottom - entirely my fault.
The paper:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/15282-Adox-Variotone-Warmtone-VC-FB-8x10-25-sheets-Semi-Matte?cat_id=503
has
lovely olive/warm/brown tones on a pure (cool?) white paper base.

There is an odd little mish-mash of things in the images you've shared Miha.
> Kudo's if they were intentional because I think you might be onto an
> interesting
> aesthetic to explore.
> However, having -once upon a time- been both a student and practitioner of
> the
> crafts involved in the Arts of the Darkroom... I suspect you've been the
> accidental beneficiary of the vagaries of the sciences and methodologies
> involved in your endeavours.
>
> Show More, Share More, Learn More, Teach More...
> A person learns to do by trying and tries by doing, so keep doing!

Thanks Richard for your lengthy, thoughtful response.

Miha