[LRflex] Re: The limits of digital... Is this a real limit?

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:52:52 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Until my Bohemian Waxwing photo (I'd never seen a waxwing before) I'd
> been happy with the detail in my shots ... The detail in Doug's Waxwing
> shot (on ISO 100 film) is no more than mine.  It's the bird!

Another variable is the lens.  The Canon 400 f/2.8 hasn't lived up to its
promise, at least under field conditions.  In controlled tests it gives me very
high resolution with high-contrast subjects but with lower-contrast subjects
there's something lacking that the 400mm f/6.8 delivers with ease.  HOWEVER, my
waxwing photos made with the 400mm f/6.8 also show little detail in the
feathers.  It's the bird!

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com