[LRflex] Re: The joy of the old lenses?

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 14:41:52 +0000

Xavier wrote:

Good Day Flexers,

Alex Hurst showing the revival of one his cupboard gem lead me to share this article with you:

<http://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/03/12/the-problem-with-modern-optics/#.VvaXN7n2aua>http://www.thephoblographer.com/2016/03/12/the-problem-with-modern-optics/#.VvaXN7n2aua

Although I am not sure that the blogger is not just packing in a few ideas colected there and there to buid an aricle.
Let's say that his reviews of lenses are smelling like it...

All a bit pseudo-scientific for my humble tastes, Xavier, but interesting nonetheless.

Actually, part of the pleasure of photography is knowing what your individual lens can (and can't) do.

For instance. my 'standard' lens on my M8 is a 35/1.4 pre-asph Summilux. Stopped down a little, this is a nice sharp, contrasty lens. Wide-open it's soft and full of coma, but that also has its uses.
The Noctilux 50/1 is similar, but obviously much better corrected at or near full aperture.

And, to take another example, my old 85/1.5 Summarex has a totally different look to the Sonnar-based 85/2 LTM Nikkor which is of a similar sort of age. It's horses for courses.

Anyway, that's my personal take. YMMV.

Best.

Alex
--