[LRflex] Re: The first hummer shot ... re-done.

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:12:23 -0700

Xavier wrote:
>Ah,
>

>I have to concentrate more effort into RAW.
>
>Amazing :)

Good Mornin' Xavier!

Raw takes a little more work than jpegs ... but with programs like
Lightroom (which I have not used, but is apparently very good) and
Silkypix, which have good workflows, it is not too bad .  And the
flexibility and results are certainly worth it.  Once I figured out
RAW (it takes a bit to master it) I never went back to jpgs ...
except, of course, those two days, in Paris, with you, when my backup
drive failed, and I was fearful of having no way to store my shots
... until you helped find that inexpensive replacement.

I figure about 1 minute or less, on average, per photo ... most less
than that, a few take more time)  to work on the good shots (the
rest, I simply delete).  Then, I batch develop them, so I can go and
do something else, while they "develop" (get turned into .tif or .jpg
files).  This process (on my computer) takes about 30 seconds each,
but by doing them as batches, I can go away while the computer does
the hard work!  Ideal, when you have 100+ photos to do!

Some people (I think Philippe is one) record both jpg & RAW, using
the RAW files, when needed, and the jpgs for "quick & dirty" shots.
It seems to work fine, for them, though I prefer RAW only, as it gets
more shots on a card!

Play with the RAW files.  I think you'll like the results.