[LRflex] Re: The effort to load film

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:23:04 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> ...   at Canyon de Chelly... recently of a group of 16, I
> was the only one shooting film...   23 rolls x 36.... so far
> $400...for film and processing, so far.... !
>

> makes me really appreciate the digital savings that you, Tina and
> others have talked about....

For me the 'savings' isn't the issue, image quality especially at high ISO is
the overriding factor that makes me use the DMR more than the 'flexes.  I make
a lot more exposures with the R8/DMR than I would with the SL or SL2, but
that's mostly because the SL and SL2 are so responsive and the viewfinders are
so much better that I don't need to 'machine-gun' with them the way I tend to
do with the R8.  With the SL, when I see the right posture, expression and
plane of focus, I push the button and I KNOW it's captured.  With the R8,
focus, posture and expression are all 'bracketed' because the viewfinder's not
as bright & snappy & clear as the SL/SL2.  I do LOT more culling with the
R8/DMR, there's no way I'll use film in the R8 when I have an SL available.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com