[LRflex] The effort to load film

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:16:42 -0700

At 22/06/2007, you wrote:

>David,
>
>We seem to have reached the same conclusion this week. I find it to be
>a deliberate effort to load up my film cameras nowadays. The 5D has
>been serving me really well as the Leicanon engine.

For me, John, it's not the effort to load film...but the cost.  With
wildlife work, you can go out, fire off 100 frames, and come home
with nothing.   Yeah...they're well exposed, and (usually) sharp, but
the light might be not the best, or they moved in the time it took
for reflexes to fire the camera after the brain said "go!".

With film, that becomes a very expensive habit.  With digital, I can
"fire at will", and then delete as necessary.  My printing costs are
limited to those shots which pass the cut.

Thus, even a DMR & R9 can be paid for, in short order, if you shoot
as many thousands of frames a year as I do.