[LRflex] The dreaded digi-film debate!

  • From: "KEITH LONGMORE" <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:18:05 -0000

Dear All
The digital-film debate has raged in the letters columns of Amateur
Photographer for months now, and has included some vitriolic comment that
has really made me think that tolerance is a thing of the past.

I've used both; by choice I stick with film for serious photography - 120 as
well as 35 - and it is my prerogative to make that choice.  If someone else
prefers digital, so what?  Both have their pros and cons.  I like the
anticipation of getting the results on film; if they aren't perfect, well,
tough.  I try to learn from that, and do better next time.  In this
impatient world of the 21st century, many people don't want to wait (even
for the camera's computer to do its stuff!!)  Furthermore, it is my view
that being able to take as many pictures as I want until I get it right
merely removes any incentive to improve.  But if that's what people want,
well, good luck to them, so long as they don't seek to force me down the
same road.

I have to use a computer at work, all day, almost every day.  I don't want
to sit in front of my home computer for hours modifying less than perfect
digital photos.  And I have suffered RSI for some years, courtesy of my
heavy computer use for the last 16 or 17 years, and I can tell you, it's not
nice!

Having said all this, it's still everyone's choice to do what suits them.
Please, please, please, don't fire up the digi-film debate on this excellent
forum.  After the vitriol of letters to AP, enough is enough.

To all of you - digi or film buffs: have a Merry Christmas and a Happy,
Prosperous New Year.

Keith Longmore

In fog-bound, freezing, grey, miserable Norfolk, UK...