[LRflex] Re: The Ride

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 06:01:28 -0700

Philippe wrote:

I was wondering is there's a way to trick the AF into "anticipating" a forward movement as read on some other cameras descriptions - that might help in some cases (the L1 doesn't have it unfortunately)

The Oly (as well as Canon and, I assume, Nikon) has a "Continuous focus" mode, as well as the usual AF ... in continuous focus, you lock on a subject, and hold the shutter release 1/2 way ... the camera continues to follow the subject, changing focus as needed. When you press the button, the camera computes the subject's speed, and "anticipates" where it will be, after the mirror flips up, etc.

There is no way that I am aware of, to trick a camera that does not have this feature into doing such a thing. Sorry.

Curiously, I've not used the AF-C mode on the Oly. I'm still learning how to run the camera in basic AF mode. I must admit, the focus is extremely fast, and very accurate. I'm most pleased with it!

Have you dried up without getting a cold?

Yes, thanks.  I'm both fine and dry!