[LRflex] The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:12:48 -0700

All:

Yesterday, Rose and I made a day trip to Kelowna (a 2 hour drive, each way) to pick up more mat-board and other supplies for the wildlife prints which I offer for sale. (www.telyt.com).

Kelowna is also the home of the only decent Pro-photo dealer in the Interior of BC, Photography West. http://www.photographywest.ca/ So we stopped in and, lo and behold, they had Nikon's DK-21M in stock!

The Good part is that really does help manual focusing with the 30D.. and I can see all of the finder frame, even with my glasses - although I normally take them off, to shoot.

The Bad part is that because it is sized to fit a Nikon (fair enough!) it exposes the diopter adjustment wheel, making it easier to accidentally change it. As well, it does not lock in place, as it would on a Nikon, so I guess it could be more easily lost. (I'll work on this bit and report if I come up with a solution.)

The Ugly part is that while it really does fit right on to the Canon 20D & 30D (& perhaps others), it truly does look ugly.

But, it's inexpensive, it works, and so I can live with the ugly.

Many thanks, to Aram, Bob and all the others who have suggested this route.