[LRflex] Re: The Elmar 180mm f4.0

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 09:00:14 -0800

At 12/31/2009, you wrote:
Happy New Year to All!

I've been lurking here for several months after getting hooked by the R system. I currently shoot an R6 with the 35mm f2.8, 50mm f2.0, 80mm f1.4 (perhaps THE reason to own an R body!), and 135mm f2.8 lenses.

I've been enjoying the 135mm very much and have recently found an Elmar 180mm f4.0 lens at an attractive price. I've looked online and have had a difficult time finding much information about it at all. Does anyone here have experience with this lens? Any pro or cons I should be aware of? Any praise or insults to hurl in its general direction?

All input is much appreciated.

Good morning, J.!

Welcome to the zoo!

It's beginning to look like I may be the only one here who's owned & extensively used the 180/4 Elmar. I loved it!

I tend to purchase "light", for in past years I've had the good fortune to do a lot of international travel, and carrying R gear, by air, demands careful choices, for weight & space. I carried the 180 Elmar to many countries, and found it to be exactly as Doug says ... light, compact but a wee bit soft, especially wide-open. Still, an ideal travel lens.

Later, I sold it and picked up the 80~200/f4 Vario-Elmar. It's heavier, but far lighter than an 80, a 135 and a 180 combined, as well as having a bit more reach. It also turned out to be noticeably sharper than the 180 Elmar ... something, to my mind, that zoom's aren't supposed to be! This Leica designed, Kyocera (Japan) built lens is probably the "sleeper" in the Leica line-up and it will be a "foggy Friday" when I ever sell mine!

The third choice is the 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt that Dave Simms mentioned. The story goes that it was originally designed for the US military and was supposed to be "top secret", but the contract was poorly written and, in the end, there was nothing to prevent Leitz from selling a consumer version ... so they did. It is one of the first APO lenses and, indeed, a stellar performer. However, it was heavily optimized for distance (as required for military use), and so suffers a wee bit at close focus. Still, I believe it outperforms the 180 Elmar at close range, though it will not do quite as well as the 80~200 Vario-Elmar, up close.

All three lenses have very nice, smooth Bokeh, though the 180-3.4 Apo-Telyt is, perhaps, the poorest of these three, due to it's rather different optimizations. But, it's no slouch in the bokeh department. See the archives for Eric Chan's Dec. 13th post, "First rhododendron of the season taken with 3 lenses" for some interesting comparisons.

Like all things, it comes down to weight, size & your budget. I think you'll be very happy with any of the three.

Again, welcome to the group!

David
(Zoo keeper)

---