[LRflex] Re: The DMR as a Collectible.

  • From: Colin Howarth <colin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:17:31 +0100

This whole thing is confoundedly complicated.

Normally, I would say "it's the sensor which is critical", to which
my brother would reply "no, it's the user interface that is most
important".

The iPod is successful because it's UI is simple and elegant. Not
because it can take photos, tell you your GPS location or make a cup
of tea. It can't do any of those - but it can play music - very well.

On the other hand, it was my impression that Nikon makes cameras
which are better in every single way than those of Canon. Except in
image quality.  :-(

Many people moan about full-frame sensors - and get ridiculed by
others who say there's nothing magical about 24x36 mm. That it's old-
fashioned, whatever.

Well, lets take a look at the prices for the Canon 30D, 5D and 1Ds Mk
II.

EUR 1150    8.2 Mpix
EUR 2450   12.8 Mpix
EUR 6990   16.7 Mpix

The 5D costs more than *twice* as much as the 30D. It has fewer
frames per second and no built-in flash. All it has is a full-frame
sensor instead of a 1.6 x one (and a couple more pixels).

The 5D is very popular since it has a FF sensor and is *only* twice
as expensive (instead of six times as expensive !!!)

Do people want FF? Yes. And it's not just because they want to use
their wides. The depth-of-field of a 50 mm on the 30D is not the same
as that of an 80 mm on the 5D.

If Leica could get a 18-24 Mpix FF sensor with excellent low-noise
capability at high ISOs I actually believe they would be quite good
at specifying an excellent UI. It would be rugged, intuitive and
beautiful. A pleasure to use.

Of course, I haven't checked, but Canon and Nikon et. al. probably
have a couple of patents on dSLR cameras - which could cause some wee
problems...

And if there aren't any auto-focus lenses you can forget most of the
pro market anyway.

I don't see how they can make a real pro dSLR.

But I wish they would :-)

colin