[LRflex] Re: The Creek

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 06:29:50 -0800

Good Morning, Ted!

You are, indeed, correct that the "curse" of the interior dweller must be
shoveled from walk and drive. Your understanding is correct ... that snow can
cause vehicles to swerve and slide. But, as with most things, patience and
practice make perfect.

But do I smell an air of smugness in your note? A certain superiority that
comes of living in a land that lives in fear of snow??

You may remember that I lived in your fair city far longer than you, my friend.

i remember the winter of 1968, when it got so cold that the salt water in
Victoria's inner harbour froze solid. The seagulls could not make sense of it,
whilst they walked across the ocean in front of the Empress. The Mallards in
GoodAcre lake were equally confused. Not to mention hungry, for nobody came to
feed them!

And I remember the winter of 1996-97 - known, far and wide, as "The Blizzard of
'96".

It was on Boxing Day of that year, when the snows came, wreaking havoc
throughout the town. More snow fell, in two days, than I have seen in a decade
of living in the hinterlands. It shattered a 75-year record & was billed as
"the worst winter since 1916".

In a town where 1/4" (0.6cm) of snow throws drivers into a panic - and into the
ditch - nobody moved.

Rose and I walked though the downtown core, at 3 o'clock on a Monday afternoon.
We mostly walked along the centerline of the roads, to avoid the snowdrifts
piling up against the parked cars and buildings. It was coming "rush hour",
yet not a car was moving. Not a sound to be heard. In fact, in a two hour
walk, only one other breathing soul was seen. In my 56 years there, I'd never
heard such silence.

You are also correct that the snow imparts a stark beauty to the land... be it
your land, or mine. Four distinct seasons give a life to living that is absent
in the land of constant rain - while 300 days of sunshine a year make
photography a joy.

Fear not, for us, my friend. For we are fine with the snow. It keeps our
forests green and our air fresh. We are prepared for it, with tires and skills
that keep us safe on the roads. As with most things, patience and practice
make perfect.

Your humble servant,

David.

Please good Sir, kindly explain strange white elements in your B&W sans
colour photograph?

As I live on the most southerly tip of the magnificent most south westerly
Island of Canada, "Vancouver Island!" Where it's a strange phenomenon if
ever to see or feel this, "what we understand is a "curse" of those living
north and easterly of us?

We also understand it must be shovelled from walk ways and driveways???? Is
that my correct understanding? And vehicles do have a tendency to slide
about on road ways while attempting to nip along in a bit of a hurry?
Is this correct? Surely not?

Although it loes appear to have h type of beautifica|ion to the baron