[LRflex] Re: Thanks

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:32:46 -0700

On Aug 1, 2007, at 10:15 AM, KEITH LONGMORE wrote:

Hi Ted
Thanks for the kind words! The trouble with e-mails is that we write what we're thinking, instead of thinking about what we write! ;-)

I wonder if you'd agree with this view! was talking to a guy at work, and the subject happened to touch photography. He'd bought a digital camera - what sort I don't know - and told me how good it is. Then he said 'I tried to photograph a sunset the other day, and it didn't come out.' 'Didn't you use the night shot setting?' 'Oh no, I always leave it on Auto.' And I thought to myself, well he's an engineer of the same rank as me, yet he hasn't the curiosity to even investigate anything except Auto? As engineers nowadays we have to do almost everything using a computer; I'm convinced that computers shrink brains!!

The other thing that I have seen is people submitting photographs for the Amateur Photographer of the Year competition, and with a rather awful photograph, they win a prize. The photo wouldn't get a second look, except that it has been overwhelmingly modified in image-editing software; so it begs the question (for me, anyway): is the prize for the photograph, or for the ability to use image- editing software? I contend that this devalues photography, both as a skill and as an art form. I know that there has been controversy on this type of issue with AP readers, but what do Flexers think?

BTW - did any of you Flexers out there see the photographs of Eric Clapton in this morning's press, taking photographs himself, using his M8 - with the lens cap on.....?

many thanks Keith for clarifying, and for your helpful dialog with Ted Grant, which I have followed closely.

I really appreciate your sincerity, as well as your suggestions re my images...

btw do you have a link to the photos of Eric Clapton with his M8...?

I was very impressed by your images of the grain elevator, esp the one shooting vertical toward the clouds...

Steve

:-D Does buying an expensive camera lead to better pictures? Er,.....well....NO!!!! ;-)
Regards
Keith L