[LRflex] Re: Telyt + D3 -- Further thoughts...

  • From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 08:46:09 +0200

Indeed David, these are really astoning shots.

The combined Tamron+2X is really heavy on the front.

As you mentioned a Monopod (coupled to a walking stick, hey, that's a gizmo), you could order from India this very interesting Device:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160145153453&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:fr

Sorry for promoting Fleabay but, obviously these guys have no front store (except locally I presume)

Yes, a lens support. The lenses collars are another possibility, but when labelled TAMRON, they are scarce (anyone here would sell me this item?)

Having a looooong Lens on a Tripod is not a very good idea in an Urban buzzing city like Paris. At best, a few minutes of discussion with a Patrol, at worst....

Holydays for 5 days, weather so so but free time to make the images I promised off the combination lens+2x
---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Telyt + D3 -- Further thoughts...
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:08:25 -0700

Xavier wrote:

Being a dilettante user, I'm tempted by the 80-200 which is nice: thanks for letting me use it on my R7 last time.
On the Digilux 3, it gives a 400, enough in a Paris city birds...

The 80~200/f4 Vario is one of the most under appreciated lenses in the Leica stable. It is exceeded, in zooms, only by the incredible

Leica 70~180mm f/2.8 Vario-APO-Elmarit-R - but that lens is both heavy and huge, not to mention expensive ... even by Leica standards. The much smaller 80~200/f4 will hold it's own for resolution, contrast, resistance to flare and colour rendition with the best of Leica's prime lenses.

I know of no other zoom lenses, in Leica's, or any other maker's, stable, of which this can be said.

Even better, unlike many (if not most) zooms, it works well with my (old, SL vintage) 2x converter, thus making it an ideal travel lens, offering a "reach" of 400mm (effectively 548mm with the DMR or 640mm in a Canon 20D, or 800mm on your D3), while being only a half stop slower than the f6.8 Telyt! Of course, an Extender-R would give you automatic diaphragm, all the way.

And it works very well!

http://www.telyt.50megs.com/nab_Loon.htm
http://www.telyt.50megs.com/cab_cactus.htm
http://www.telyt.50megs.com/cab_rufous_wren.htm
http://www.telyt.50megs.com/cab_snake_bird.htm

All of the above, were shot with this combination. The loon and the snake-bird had the double complication of being shot from moving boats. All were hand held.

Try one.. I think you'll really like it!