[LRflex] Re: Telyt 400 6.8 question

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 21:28:45 -0400 (EDT)

Wing Goodale wrote:

>Well I just received a Telyt 400 6.8 in the mail today from an ebay purchase.
>It is in great condition, focuses smoothly and generally seems great. I have
>it mounted on a R8. There is one thing that seems a little off that I would
>love your opinion about.
>
>The very upper portion of the viewfinder has a slight dark vail. The other
>three sides of the viewfinder are crisp lines, but the upper portion has this
>slight black area. When I switch using the lens from horizontal to vertical it
>remains. Have any of you experienced this before? Will it be reflected on the
>film or is it only a viewer issue. Should I be concerned?

Not a problem.  What's happening is the light for the upper part of the picture
is't being reflected to the viewscreen because the mirror isn't long enough to
intercept it.  The mirror is fine for most lenses because the exit pupil of
most lenses is much closer than for the 400mm f/6.8 (and f/5.6) Telyts.  It
doesn't affect the picture at all, just a minor nuisance in the viewfinder.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com