[LRflex] Ted's digital advice.

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:38:25 +0100

>Alex Hurst asked:
>Subject: [LRflex] Re: Suggestions # 1

>>  new toy - a Nikon D200 no less? Not quite a DMR back, but the quality
>  > looks pretty good to me.<<<

And Ted replied in part:

>No different in learning to drive, it's one thing at a time and once that's
>mastered move onto the next. Gradually the machine in hand wont feel any
>different than the film camera you've used for years. Just as simple as
>breathing.

Good analogy Ted. I'm over the 'chimping' stage already - it disturbs
the flow too much when you're shooting people. Now I have to learn
that I can afford to be more profligate with my shots as all I'm
throwing away with the rejects is electrons rather than expensive
film.

What did amaze me in Italy was not the quantity of digital cameras (I
think I only saw four or five people using film in the whole time I
was there), but the forlorn hope that most people had that they'd get
a good shot holding the camera at arm's length and looking at a tiny
screen. At least I've schooled my wife to frame approximately using
the Coolpix screen, but to shoot through the optical v/f with the
camera braced firmly against her face.

With a DLSR, of course, this isn't a problem.

Thanks again for the sage advice.

Best

Alex
--