[LRflex] Re: Technical, Using Elpros + Cron 50 + Four thirds Camera

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:38:53 -0400

Just had a quick thought on your question:
Assuming that the distance between lens flange and sensor on your digilux is
the same as lens flange to film distance on an R camera then why would their be
any difference in magnification ratios? The field of view would be cropped 50%
due to the 4/3 sensor, but the lens won't focus any closer than it would
before.

Now if you are attempting to recreate equivalent fields of view between what
the R camera produces and what the 4/3 sensored Digilux produces then life
might get interesting trying to riddle out magnification rations and such, but
when the query is 'what is maximum magnification ratio of X lens with Y Elpro
on it' but the lens to sensor plane is equivalent, then the maximum
magnification ratio ought to be a fixed value in my judgement.

The 4/3 sensor would just be cutting out 1/2 of what a full frame sensor would
see. It seems equivalent to putting a 'plate' over the full frame sensor which
has a hole the size of a 4/3 sensor cut out off it... the lens isn't altered
and the lens to sensor distance isn't different so why would the maximum
magnification ratio be different?

Sincerely
Richard Ward

A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.

                                                                Henry Ford