[LRFlex] Re: Tamron and the SL2

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:09:44 -0700

At 8/10/2004, you wrote:

A friend has just purchased his first Leicaflex, an SL2. He's been using a couple of Tamron zooms on his C*non FTb and until he decides which R lenses to use he'd at least like to use the SL2 with the Tamron lenses.

My question is: what kind of mounts adapter should he look for? My understanding is that Tamron has made a few different interchangable mounts (adaptall? adaptall 2?) for their lenses. How can he tell what mount system his present lenses use?

Doug Herr

G'mornin' Doug!

Smart man, your friend! An SL-2 is definitely the way to get introduced to Leica! :)

There were two Tamron AdaptAll mounts... one for the 'Flex, SL & SL2. Unfortunately, I do not know it's model number. I understand that it has been discontinued for many years.

There is also an R4 adapter, which is a "third-cam" only adapter. It is readily available new. However, I found out (the hard way!) that this adapter does NOT work on the R8 or R9. It is fine on the R3 though R7 models, however.

I wrote to Tamron (Canada) and they tell me there are no plans for an updated adapter for the R8/9 series.

Also, be sure you're working with an AdaptAll series lens. Many Tamrons are made in fixed mounts for Canon, Pentax, Minolta, etc., though the same lenses were often available in AdaptAll mount, as well.

Sorry I cannot tell you where to find the older SL mount.

Cheers!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm