[LRflex] TRabbies Beemers and Porsches

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:43:16 +0100

Hi Alex, Doug and Sonny and Bill and  whoever else...
The 'technology' for stealing a car isn't so different from the technology for 'chipping' one! Surprising what a few smart brains can come up with with a CANalyser and some software expertise. And organised crime is willing to pay lots for the expertise. Most expensive cars are sold to order now, generally for e.g. the East European mafia etc.

You might find it interesting to have a look Cambridge University's website items from Ross Anderson, who is an internationally renowned encryption expert. Try searching in Google on 'digital tachographs' and 'Ross Anderson.' You'll find it fascinating - and worrying - I'm sure.

I seem able to start some lively debates! And that's what makes this forum so enjoyable; we don't get too hung up on pure Leica - or even pure photography. Next week I have to fly to Detroit on business. :-( Deep joy! What's the weather like there - as lousy as ours has been...? :-\ I wonder if they still sell the T-shirts there with the caption 'I'm so bad, I vacation in Detroit'....? ;-) Or, as a colleague over there said, when asked if he lived there, 'you don't live in Dee-troit, son, y'only resahde there!!' Enough said, I think....
Cheers
Keith