[LRflex] Re: TIME MAGAZINE COVER and a photography!.

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:01:00 -0700

Ted,

I am old enough to remember the time when pictures of US casualties in WW II
were for the first time allowed by the government to be published in newspapers
and magazines, including Time, Inc.'s own Life magazine. They were pictures of
dead US Marines, young men floating lifeless in the surf at Tarawa, and the
pictures brought home to our public what war meant.

Pictures like this one of the young Afghan woman carry a message that words
cannot convey and I can only hope that its publication proves, in the end,
salutary for us all.

Thanks for speaking up.

All the best,

Bill