[LRflex] Re: Swishy photos from California

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:14:08 -0800

On Feb 13, 2011, at 2:33 PM, <tedgrant@xxxxxxx> <tedgrant@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bill Abbott III offered:
> Subject: [LRflex] Swishy photos from California
>
> Hi Bill,
> They maybe sporty cars but they have the appearance of a fast moving baby
> stroller! :-)

I know. That's why I'll be back at the intersection.

> An intersection where the vehicle is turning is about as poor a position as
> you could select because they all slow down to make the turn, therefore very
> little swishy effect to catch.

They don't slow down here. It's a four lane road and the non-turners go by at
50 mph plus. This is California!

> If you are going to use an intersection shoot the traffic blasting straight
> through and a shutter speed range of 1/15 to 1/30th.
> Obviously the best if they're flying low and doing 80 MPH then up the
> shutter speed until you're getting the completely blurred back ground and
> swirly looking wheels in motion and the driver perfectly sharp! This kind of
> shooting is so simple with digital because we can see the mage each time you
> shoot a car. If the background isn't almost a complete blur then set a
> slower shutter speed and shoot the faster moving cars. If you really want it
> wild, shoot at 1/8th of a second. But the follow through must be exactly
> identical to the movement of the car. And adjust the aperture for correct
> exposure.
>
> A much better location is on a straight section of the highway or a street
> where they blow by you in a straight line maintaining their speed allowing
> you a perfect panning of the camera at exactly their speed with the complete
> follow through.

Thanks. That'll be Highway 17, a block away.

> A successful swishy pan is one with blur all over the place but within the
> moving target there are sharp identifiable parts. This effect can be seen in
> some of David's snowmobiles.
>
> I've done lots of this while shooting the Olympics, summer or winter,
> athletes whom I really don't need. Helps kill the time and sharpens the
> panning of the body when it comes time for a Canadian to blow by.
>
> Hopefully this description will help with some of your car swishy pans...
> remember the faster the vehicle, the better the potential of a neat
> swishy-pan. :-)

Thanks for the coaching. I'll study up before my next sortie.

> As fast as the vehicle is going, you must rotate at your
> waistline or you'll blow the shot. That's why faster is better! :-)

I'll keep humming, The Twist, by Chubby Checker...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZStOLwTNrY&feature=related

All the best,

Bill
A younger fan