[LRFlex] Surprising lens - Tele-Lumax 105/2,4

  • From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, LeicaReflex <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:32:09 +0200

Hi all,
I've been spending the afternoon trying 15 different lenses on the EOS300D, most of the Leica lenses were boringly excellent, as expected.
A Russian f8 mirror lens turnsed out to be slightly better than its Sigma counterpart but the biggest surprise was the lens used for these 3 shots.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/Lumax_total
http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/Lumax_centre
http://gallery.leica-users.org/New-Old-Pictures/Lumax_TLCorner

I've no idea who made it but it's called a Tele-Lumax 105/2,4 and has the name Vines (a UK photo store) on the filter ring. I picked it up last
year at a car-boot sale in Horley (near Gatwick Airport) for 60 pence (along with a Topcon body which was seized up and a couple of other lenses).
It's been lying around for over a year now and I only discovered a few days ago that it's a T2 mount, I had actually considered dumping it not so long ago.
It has the typical look of a 1950-1960 lens - aluminium barrel and black paint.

Image info : shot at a distance of around 10 metres at f8, focus on the Leica Jelly Bears tin, overcast weather with diffuse light at ISO equivalent 100. The only processing applied was unsharp mask 5-6-0 (photoshop elements 2.0) and auto contrast correction + resizing for the gallery.

Can anyone tell me anything more about the lens, it was bought with an Exakta/Topcon mount and although I know of Lumax lenses for Corfield
Periflexes there is no reference I can find to either this focal length or to a Lumax made in Japan.

Possibly the best 60 pence I ever invested in a lens. Pretty boring shots but I'm quite excited about the quality of the results so let me know
what you think
More on some other lenses if anyone is mad enough to be interested.

cheers
Douglas