[LRflex] Re: Summicron lens on FourThirds (Revisited)

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:26:49 -0700

At 23/03/2008, you wrote:
Hello David, All

As we say in French, "I've come after the battle is over" but I made two pictures, rather similar to yours for a Summilux 50:
<http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/clearance/Summlux_50.jpg>http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/clearance/Summlux_50.jpg

and a Summicron 35:

<http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/clearance/Summicron_35.jpg>http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/clearance/Summicron_35.jpg

The pencil is set where the focus chip should be.

Obviously, either the russian chip is thin or I'll never focus to infinity. Oops :-(

Of course, the Elmarit 24mm and the vario Elmar have no problems, the first because the diameter of the rear element is smaller, the second because, the rear element is not protubing nor it moves.

FWIW :)
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

Good Mornin', Xavier!

I have written the chap who is the German agent for the Russian Dandelion chip. From the illustrations, it appears that the Dandelion chip protrudes less into the "throat" of the adapters, and thus "may" allow the lip or guard that is found on the back of many Leica lenses, to clear - thus allowing infinity focus. However, the only way to be sure is to buy one and try it.

I will report what I find, after I can obtain one.

Meanwhile, it appears that just about any lens with the "guard" on the back of the lens will have problems with the Chinese FC adapter and perhaps the Russian one will, too.

For me, I wanted the FC adapter for the Telyt, which, of course, has no mechanism within 50cm (20 inches) of the mount. In the end, it turned out that I could have saved the money, for the finder on the E3 is so far superior to that in the 30D that the Telyt is easily focused, without the need for Focus Confirmation. Still, it is a nice convenience. I think I will order a non-FC adapter, for the 50 Summicron.

Meanwhile, if everyone will take a peek at the Leica lenses they own, and mail me, privately (dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) telling me which lenses have the lip, and which do not; I will compile a list and post it on my website, as an aid to others.

Many thanks, to you all, for that.