[LRflex] Re: Suggestions needed as to what long R lens I should get?

  • From: Doug Herr <wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:09:46 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Brendan Sforcina wrote:

>I have been reading and learning lots here on the forum, I have just
>arranged to buy an R6.2, and it comes with the following lenses;
>
>Elmarit R f2.8/180
>
>2x Extender
>
>Macro Elmarit R 60mm type 2
>
>From another source I am getting;
>
>R6 body
>
>Super-Angulon R f4.0/21mm
>
>Elmarit R f2.8/35mm
>
>Summicron R f2.0/90mm
>

>I will be using the system for general photography, landscape and wildlife.
>

>What would people suggest as to a good ‘long’ lens to add next? I prefer to
>stock with prime lenses not zooms.

A couple of good lightweight long lenses are the 400mm and 560mm f/6.8 Telyts.
I like their image detail, color saturation, quick focus, light weight,
negligible flare and excellent bokeh.  The disadvantages of them are their long
physical length, field curvature, and manual diaphragm.  They're very
inexpensive for their capabilities.

I've also used the late model 250mm f/4 Telyt, which has good color quality,
flare resistance & handling, a short minimum focus distance, and an excellent
tripod collar, but the image quality outside the central area doesn't excite me
(or maybe I've been spoiled by the 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt).  Except for the tripod
collar I think you'd do as well with your 180 + 2x Extender.

For a no-compromise wildlife lens the 280mm /f4 APO-Telyt is just the thing,
particularly when combined with an APO-Extender: totally spectacular image
quality that sets the benchmark for any long lens from any lens maker.  It
costs a lot in $$$$ and weight, though.

The 350mm f/4.8 Telyt, somewhat scarce, is similar in design to the late 250mm
f/4 Telyt, but I find its image quality is somewhat better than the 250
particularly outside the central area.  Its flare resistance is outstanding,
and its price has become reasonable in recent months.

Best bang for the buck IMHO is the f/6.8 Telyts.  I have spares of some of
these lenses, let me know if you're interested in any of them (my 280 isn't for
sale).

Samples of what can be done with some of theses lenses:

280mm f/4 APO_Telyt http://www.wildlightphoto.com/280a40.html
400mm f/6.8 Telyt http://www.wildlightphoto.com/400r68.html
560mm f/6.8 Telyt http://www.wildlightphoto.com/560r68.html