[LRflex] Subject: R glass on Nikon question - hopefully the last one

  • From: "Steve Lewis" <scl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:51:37 -0600

Using R Glass with the Leitax conversion is just like using any non-chipped
lens of any manufacturer on the more modern Nikons (I use a D300). For
instance I often use an M Elmarit 90/2.8 in a Visoflex mount or with bellows
on the Nikon, as well as a 400/6.3 Telyt. As mentioned earlier, there is a
menu which holds 8 or so non-chipped len's info, which you can change on the
fly quite easily...it references the attached len's focal length (approx in
some cases) and the maximum aperture. You set your shooting aperture just as
you ordinarily would, with the aperture ring on your lens. Of course
metering is conducted in the stopped down mode for most non-Nikon lenses,
and you must stop down the lens manually before shooting.The camera meters
the scene in in the mode you've chosen, for either manual or aperture
priority shooting modes. You have the capability, if you really need it, to
view the histogram as well each of the color channels on the back. Generally
I've found that the metering is extremely accurate and the histogram isn't
needed. I haven't converted any R lenses for use yet, as I can use them as
they are on a Sigma digital body I had swapped the sigma mount for the Leica
R mount on before I picked up the Nikon. I admit, I'm using film a lot less
these days with my R lenses.