[LRflex] Stunned ... an update.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:16:10 -0700

Earlier, Philippe asked:

Stunning indeed, David.
Oly : Is it the same lens? Or a swap?

I don't know, Philippe. It's on it's way, by ground, at it was a good 5000km away ... so I would expect it to arrive sometime this week ... with luck, around Wednesday.

Their options are to (a) actually fix the lens, (b) swap the lens and simply change the ring with the serial number or (c) simply swap the lens. Given a price of 1/4 it's retail, it could be any of them. I'll report, when I see the lens ...with luck, before the end of the week.

Hi Philippe!

Well, my lens was returned from the Oly Service Depot, today. Exactly 11 days from the moment it was mailed... not too shabby for a 10,000km round trip!

The lens looks spectacular and seems to function perfectly. I'll know after some exposures are run through it ... and that will happen tomorrow.

So, the question is... was it fixed, or replaced?

The answer.... well, hard to tell. It is spectacularly clean in every respect. Even the lens cap looks brand new. However, there are tiny scratches which I knew I'd put there through use, and there are marks where the lens hood has been put on and off, so many times. So, I do believe that they actually fixed it! The service order reads:

Symptom:   Chip on lens - please check all.
Inspection/Evaluation:  Chip on lens - received in used condition.
Service Performed:  Replaced Front Element, adjusted and tested.

Oly also offer a faster "pro-service" for full-time working pros. I boggles the mind to think what they would have to do, to beat their ordinary consumer service!

At this stage, they can count me as a *very* satisfied Olympus buyer!