[LRflex] Re: Stunned

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:23:11 +0200

Stunning indeed, David.
Oly : Is it the same lens? Or a swap?

Stunning also is the chronic inefficiency another well known manufacturer's after-sales service operates.
I hope you get your Vario back soon.

Amitiés depuis Metz
Philippe

David Young wrote:

Now I've been called "stunned" many times, over the years. Sometimes deservedly!

But this time, I am truly amazed...

As many of you know, I chipped the front element of my Zuiko zoom lens, whilst crouching in a bull-riding chute, taking photos of some barrel racers, back in June. One of the horses threw up a storm of rocks and while I ducked for cover, one of the stones hit the font element of my lens, chipping it, as you'd get a stone chip in a windshield of your car.

Several listers suggested various tricks to minimize the damage, including masking the pit with a felt marker. That, however, only changed the flaw from a bright spot, in certain photos, to a dark spot! Fortunately, in most photos the flaw did not show, at all.

Finally, my Picture BC contract was up, and I could spare the lens. So off to Olympus it went, to have it's front element replaced at a cost of $297.50 including taxes and insured, return shipping.

This past Tuesday I checked their website, to confirm that they had received it on Monday, the 22nd. Today, for laughs, I checked again, hoping to see a note that it was now "in repair". Instead, I found a notation that it was shipped back to me, on Wednesday, the 24th! That's just 48 hours in repair!!!!!!

Contrast that with my 80~200/4 Vario Elmar, which has been in Leica's Canadian Service Agency since February 7th., awaiting parts. They phoned me yesterday to say that the last needed part is on it's way and it should be done in just another 2 to 3 weeks! Needless to say, the repairs to the Vario are considerably less serious than replacing an element.. but the bill will be considerably more that the one from Olympus!

If Leica are going to capture the pro market with their S3, they are going to have to improve their service, that's for sure!

I know, this is the LRflex list, but I was so impressed with Oly's service, that I just HAD to tell someone ...

Thanks for listening!