[LRflex] Re: Studio shot?

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:28:21 -0700

On Aug 25, 2008, at 10:09 AM, David Young wrote:

Steve wrote:

The E3 body is definitely a step up from the L1 - particularly in
the finder.  Despite what's claimed about being a "pro" body, I
would not call it that.

why? what would make it a pro body ?

Well, although a delight to use, the fit/finish is not up to the R8/9 ... and I have reservations about the long-term reliability of the cabling in the flip-out LCD - with anything flexed that much, the question is not will it fail ... only "when". This may not be relevant over the life span of a digital camera, but it is something I learned from many years with flexing cables in the consumer electronics trade. (As a result, I very rarely flip it out.)

Suffice it to say that I am happy enough with the results of the E3,
that if they come out with a 14mp model, I'll immediately buy one

why ? only for the mp's I suppose..?

why do you feel you need them ?  do you make really huge prints?

No... but I'd like the ability to crop - especially the wildlife shots, and still have enough pixels left to make top-notch 8x10 or 11x14 inch prints.. about as large as I go. As most commercial printers (I don't print at home) operate at 300dpi, an 11x14" print is 3300x4200 pixels = 13.86mpixels. Before cropping.

Interpolation works wonders, up to a point. So, for me, 14mp would be a very nice sensor, all other things being equal.

the trumpeter is a terrific shot...but at that f stop focus is clearly
a lot less critical...

Thanks.

I agree, f6.9 does offer more DOF, (as well being a bit of a mistake!), but remember, the lens used, with the 1.4 converter, is f4.5, wide open.

please try opening up  the aperture and shoot spot central AF...see
what you think and please  let us know...

Will do!  Yessir. I'll get right on that!!!

Today  !!!!

  you'll never look back...

put the spot on the area you want in focus...

I am sure you will like it...

I can't stand these auto focus cameras that measure 57 spots and average/interpolate...

sort of reminds me of the joke about a camel being an animal designed by a committee,

or an Edsall..

:-)

Steve