[LRflex] Re: Studio shot?

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:13:07 -0700

On Aug 25, 2008, at 9:08 AM, David Young wrote:

Philippe asked:

Can you, on the E3, adjust manually after focus has been made auto, or easily and ergonomically "freeze" the focus before framing? I find the latter difficult to perform on the L1 as the button is badly located and you always risk getting your thumb into your eye when you try.
phx

Yes ... the Oly E3 has an MF-AF mode. The camera works in AF... but after you press the shutter 1/2 way, the focus locks. While still holding the shutter 1/2 way down, you can manually "tweak" the focus and the tweak will hold. Press the rest of the way, to fire the shutter.

It's a rather nice system, as you do not have to flip any switches to switch from AF to MF. However, I've not used the method a lot. I need to train myself to do so, as it should give the best of both worlds. As for the stage shots ... things were moving so fast (despite the look of "Studio shot?") that there simply was not time and the performers moved about too much.

Still, AF was not all bad... here is a shot of an Indian horn player, from Rajasthan ...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Raja.htm

which I thought turned out pretty well.

very nice David...

what was the f stop?