[LRflex] Strange musings on CAPA & KIA

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 11:29:15 -0700

Hi all -
I have been keeping radio silence for reasons that are similar to
Bob's....too much business travel and too many pressing
responsibilities from the 'day job', as well as family needs.
However, I had to eventually break my silence and say something
instead of watching from the side lines.  Yesterday's list posting was
the catalyst!

Ah yes indeed, a somber tone hits the list these days - Leica
management's response to David's DMR is fitting from an accounting
standpoint (i.e. full refund) but somehow it leaves an empty feeling
about Leica customer service.

Then again, the loss of a 19 year-old to a war to protect so called
'freedom' and 'liberation from oppression' must leave an emptiness in
his parents that eclipses whatever pride they may have, front cover
tabloid photo notwithstanding.
This story from Slobodan somehow shatters the predilection to muse
about what digital body to mate with our R-lenses, and replaces it
with the stark reality of how we take for granted what we already
have, in contrast to what so many in the world crave to have.

I am talking about the simple things - like a sense of stability that
we and our families have at the place we each call "home", and not
worrying about being worthy enough of acceptance in an adopted
homeland.  So many immigrants coming to the US can't even read and
write in English; they may speak it enough to earn a day's livelihood.

It is just pathetic when a human life is bartered for ideals that are
filled with promise but subject to the vagaries of destiny....like a
random walk in a minefield literally. Having said that, Capa gave of
himself in the pursuit of photographic truth, and having been a
photojournalist for the armed forces when I was 19 to 21, I can
emphatize with his call of duty, but my duties never brought me close
to live battles that spelt life and death at 1/125 s.

On this Memorial Day weekend, it seems to me that I best remember how
lucky a lot we are, to be able to fill our thoughts whimsically about
35mm or medium format for the next photoshoot, or the next project in
our digital darkroom, or even the 'next' photographic gear to
purchase.......and not the immediacy of how one goes about making the
next day's bread and butter for self and family.

Best wishes,
Eric Chan