[LRFlex] Re: Still more Adventures at 32 Below!

  • From: Doug Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 19:58:53 -0800

on 1/5/05 5:36 PM, David Young at dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi!
>
> This is a study in D-O-F, or the lack thereof.  The shot was taken with the
> 400mm f6.8 Telyt, wide open, at about -24C; and this little lady had all
> her feathers puffed out for heat retention!
>
> The eye is absolutely tack sharp in the print, but the feathers are
> completely out of focus.
>
> http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr and click on "Featured Photo".
>
> Techie stuff:  R8 w/400/f6.8 Telyt & shoulder stock. Hand held - about
> 1/125th second. Kodak HD-400 negative film.  Scanned on a cheap Canon
> flatbed, as my faithful HP-PhotoSmart neg scanner has finally given up.
> :(  Cropped from a horizontal shot... about 1/2 the original frame.
>
> Comments and criticisms appreciated.
>
> Thanks for looking.

A bummer about the DOF.  I'm running into the same problems and then some
with the 400 f/2.8.  The best solution apart from faster films + smaller
aperture is to make the exposure during that rare split-second when the bird
turns and its body is parallel to the plane of focus.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm