[LRflex] Re: Stargazing two ways

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:30:27 -0700

Hi Aram!

Nice shots of the VLA. But the winner is the star shot with your Swiss
campers. Beautifully done!

Without knowing the focal length, it is impossible to guess the shutter speed
based on the length of the start-trails (very short but visible).

So, I'll ask. What focal length were you using?

Tnx.

David.

Just outside Socorro, New Mexico, is the Very Large Array. We were lucky
that they were in the “D” configuration. That means the 27 radiotelescopes
were bunched close together around the visitors center. This is when they
are looking for lower resolution overall structure images. The “A”
configuration is when they are spread out with each arm being 13 miles. You
would get to see very few of them close enough to the visitors center to
photograph.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/nm/VLA-6679.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/nebeeo5

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/nm/VLA-6682.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/peppnvq

More info: http://www.vla.nrao.edu/

And just down the road is a nice campground, where I found a couple from
Switzerland enjoying the stars by a campfire.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/f15/nm/Datil+Wells+Campground-6709-Edit.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/q3j9fan

View Large

Comments welcome.

Aram

Aram Langhans

(Semi) Retired Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

“The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin himself
would ever have dared dream.” James D. Watson