[LRflex] Re: Standard R Lenses and Extenders

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 16:56:13 -0700

At 01/04/2007, you wrote:
>David, Chris,
>
>I also used s 50 Summicron (late 3 cammer) with a 2XR extender with great
>results. I also used it with an extension tube I made from a
>"Junked" 2XR. I paid
>$20.00 US for it since the glass elements looked as though they had been
>cleaned with a "Brillo Pad"! The guy that I bought it from thought I
>was nuts for
>even wanting it but sold it to me anyway. All I wanted it for was the tube
>with all the proper linkages and cams. I used it successfully with
>the Elpro made
>for the 55mm threaded 50 Summicron. This was also an inexpensive piece since
>nobody uses it or even realizes how effective it is. I combined all of the
>above for a great field macro outfit.
>
>Depending on where you mount the extension tube and 2X, you get a great
>difference in magnification. If you mount it on the body, with the
>2X, 50mm cron &
>Elpro in front, you have an extremely close focussing 100mm f/4 lens that is
>capable of about 1.2:1 magnification. If, on the other hand, you mount the 2X
>on the body and the Elpro, 50 cron & tube in front of the 2X, you get an
>incredible amount of magnification! The Elpro, 50 cron & tube give
>you better than
>1:1 and the 2X doubles that!! You just have to watch out for your & the
>camera's shadow. I solved that by using a Cokin creative, 3-head,
>semi-ringflash
>setup. The light sensor is at the bottom  front of the flash unit,
>right next to
>the flash tubes. Not quite, but almost as good as TTL Ringflash RBA (Which IS
>almost impossible to find).
>
>Hope this tidbit of info helps.
>

>Art Tafil

Hi Art!

That's a great idea!    Jen found a tick in her hair, the other day,
and we wanted a photo for ID purposes before we destroyed it. (She's
the head of the Water Systems Dept. in our area, but when her staff
are off sick or on vacation, she still gets to do field work.  Hence,
the tick!)

I tried the 50 with the ELPRO V1a, and then the V1b, but neither was
strong enough. (Ticks are small... and on the move!)  I then used
both the ELPRO VIb & VIa lenses in front of the 50mm.. and when that
was still not enough, I tried them with a tube on the back.  Worked
well... very sharp!  But just barely large enough for ID purposes.  I
never thought of the 2x, but that's a heck of an idea!

Thanks for the tip... I'll try it, next time!