[LRflex] Re: Standard R Lenses and Extenders

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 13:46:36 -0700

At 01/04/2007, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>All this talk of 2x-extenders has made me wonder about a walk around kit
>with a standard lens and a 2x-extender. Do extenders work well with 50mm
>lenses? I do like the 50mm standard and I have a Summicron f2 but I am
>considering a Summilux f1.4, which with a 2x-extender gives me a 100mm f2.8.
>Puts rates the Summilux highly. So my second question: how good is the
>Summilux? Anyone have experience with it and a 2x-extender?
>
>Chris

Hi Chris!

Normally, a 50mm is the shortest focal length you'd want to use with
an extender, although I've seen people use them on 28's for "artistic" reasons.

My old 2x works wonderfully with an old 2-cam (updated to 3 cams by
Kindermann, in Toronto) 50mm Summicron.  See:

http://canadianartandstock.ca/photograph_sample.php?photographid=428

However, when I first got it, my idea was to use it with my 90 Summi,
to replace my 180/f4 for my walk around kit.  However, results were
terrible.  I don't know the cause, but the 90 Summicron simply did
not like the 2x.  Alex Hurst, from whom I got the extender, had tried
it with his 90 Summi, with the same results.

However, I later go the 400 Telyt and it came into its own.  It also
works very well with my 80~200/f4 Vario.

However, you'd have to try one with the 50 Summilux, to know for sure.

Let us know how you get on with it, will you?