[LRflex] Re: Sophie CRIIQUE!

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 11:09:06 -0700

Linda offered:

Subject: [LRflex] Sophie

>>A young student, taking initiative of posing <<<.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Linda+Vermeiren/Sophie/

Hi Linda,

I do believe you post your pictures for critique and possible suggestions
for improvement or praise.

Now you have a very fine looking subject which unfortunately I believe in
some poor posing situations. So let's take them one at a time and critique
them individually good, bad and ugly!

Please do not be personally offended as this is merely a discussion on
technique.

1/ My first question:

Are you directing her pose or is she taking the position herself? If she's
just taking a pose without direction, that's the first mistake. If you let
her do her own posing, she can't see herself nor how the light is making her
more beautiful or ugly!

After all, this is your shoot, you are the director! You tell her what to
do!

My comments are as I see them on the screen without you standing here
discussing them. I may say something you can't immediately respond to,
therefore if you're interested do please respond.

Whether you like or dislike my critique. Thank you

1/ Couvreur-37 & Couvreur-36:

The first thing my eye went to was her arm pit and chopped off arm. The
armpit isn't usually accepted as an enhancing quality as we see it here. I'd
have brought her arm down or around to a different position. Not only that
but a tiny portion of her right hand is sticking into the upper left corner.

2/ Couvreur-19 & 21:

I'm not sure what kind of expression she is trying to put on, but it doesn't
work! WHY?

Well due to the face angle to camera and lighting in both pictures she is
presenting a "fat face cheek" look! It does nothing for her whatsoever.

Lets start with the body positioning.

Once again a girl as attractive as this you do not want her body flat to
camera, makes her look fat! And given the light she should be on an angle
about 45 degrees turned to her right away from camera. As it would slim her
body line.

Then given the light bring her head back to her left toward camera so her
right cheek line and neck create a straight vertical line. It also slims the
face to a much greater beauty effect.

This maybe hard to see when looking at your pictures on the screen as we see
them here. But it truly would change the attractiveness considerably.

3/ Couvreur-14:

This is close to a good one. However look at the following for some
improvement.

She's leaning back too far when it should've been slightly forward, then
allowing the head to come around to camera so her left face side could be in
a straight line with her neck.

Or let her head tilt forward slightly and bring the head around to a
comfortable position toward camera. Neck line straight with cheek.  Because
in this photo she looks awkward in attempting to create a "sultry look?"
that just doesn't work, whatever she's trying to do.

Now her right arm is locked so tight holding her up it has an awkward look
to the bent in elbow that looks un-natural in shape.

And due to this arm position you are now presenting a big shoulder and broad
"fist like knuckles" look to her right hand. Very unflattering position for
a lady where you want grace and beauty to all lines. When positioning a
ladies hand or hands try to show the side of the hands with a light curl
where it's possible. Make them look slim and flattering.

In the case of a male subject a sort of full fist and knuckles is quite
appropriate, but never a lady.

That's why I say her head should be tilted in the  forward direction not as
we see here. It's just awkward looking and does nothing for her beauty.

As we look at his carefully, it's quite easy to see how her neck and jaw are
at sharp angles when if her head were positioned properly around to the
right the neck and left cheek would be an almost straight line.

You are producing some interesting material in your posts and I trust my
rather indepth critique doesn't offend you. But you find it helpful. Thank
you

Cheers,

Ted

tedgrantphoto.com