[LRflex] Re: Some people faces

  • From: "Marc Dufour" <foto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 18:46:47 +0200

Hello Steve !

There are no secrets in my pictures !
As a graphic designer I am, I had the luck to share many hours, working with
good professional photographers, and learning a lot from them.
But I think my background and training period in visual arts is what really
helps me to select, isolate and frame, achieving some pictures.
Technically, my photos are often just OK, but not outstanding. Not as the
ones I can see from pros I know (who use 35 format only in few occasions)
The only things I do (apart from getting the best lens I can, as everybody
here!) are:
- Observe the scene and try to select the visually important in it, The
Thing which really appealed me.
- Look for the best framing, the one wich will improve this important fact,
often isolating it.
- Begin to breathe deeply and slowly (seems a joke, but no!). Stop in the
middle of exhale and, in apnea, catch the picture (an old trick from the
army, they teached when I learnt to use rifles !)
I've to say I usually don't use faster speeds than 1/125, but many times
slower, until 1/8, as in sunsets or storm pictures.
I tend to close the diaphragm as possible, often with an extra 1/2 pass...
And really, nothing more, but some thousands of "just regular pictures",
before to get some more intersting ;-)
Cheers,
Marc