[LRflex] So, about that Yosemite photo....

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Leica Reflex" <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2020 16:11:06 -0800

Yeah. I have an ethics question to ask. That photo was taken about two years ago in Yosemite. We were with my father-in-law as usual. At the time he was 95 and of course his eye sight is not what it use to be. I cannot focus on a star using live view. He tries, but can never find one to focus on. I have in the past made him focus on a distant mountain in the day time, the we tape the focus and zoom rings in palace so they cannot move and he tries to shoot some stars. Sometimes works, but often, he wants to change focal length so then focus shifts too, in spite of what they say about their lenses. I have just bought him an old manual focus 24mm Nikon lens in the hopes that the hard stop at infinity will be good enough for stars. I have a friend who is really good at astrophotography and he says the hard stop is not good enough, but then I show him what I have taken with my Leica 35-70/4 and he now says that MOST lenses are not good enough.

So, here is the deal and the question. When we go out, I set his camera up, focus for him and then aim it. His night vision is terrible. Then he hits the shutter button. I'll look at it and make some adjustments and we repeat the process. So, who's photo is it? Can I claim it as much has he can? Not that I am going to sell it or anything. You might say, don't I have a shot just like his? We are together so often I try not to take the same shots he does. Not sure why. I just do that. So, I have a vertical of about the same thing, but not a horizontal, which is a much better shot.

Any comments on this?

Aram

Aram Langhans
(Semi) Retired Science Teacher
& Unemployed photographer

“The Human Genome Project has proved Darwin more right than Darwin himself would ever have dared dream.” James D. Watson
------
Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:
  http://lrflex.furnfeather.ca/
Archives are at: