[LRflex] Re: Smartest Forum Post - EVER! (imho)

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 20:44:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Sonny,
   maybe I ought to have titled my original message "smartest forum post - ever
is referenced within". I don't think my writing conveyed my central thesis very
well at all. ie: That there is good, even great, value to be found in quality
photographic dicussions, in quality photographic equipment, and in using
quality
photographic techniques, but ALL of that value is only there 'in potentia' if
it
isn't being put towards "Taking Pictures!". Further, I believe that there is no
intrinsic link between 'Quality Pictures' and Quality Equipment. Or Techniques.
Or Discussions. They can certainly improve upon the quality or the quantity or
the ease of 'Taking Pictures' one is satisfied with and communicates well with,
but they are not the key. The key is feeling your subject, feeling the moment,
feeling the shot you are taking or are trying to take. My friend Dennis cared
more about his Zeiss Planar Fifty, his Kodachrome64, his Voigtlander SLR, his
Gossen Luna-Six, and his Tripod, than any subject he brought those items to
bear
on and that 'problem' was on display in any photograph of his I ever saw.
I recall the first 'Paper' I ever wrote as a College Freshman at the age of 23:
five years removed from my 2.0 high school gpa. My skills as a person and a
human being were far in advance of what I perceived to be meager writing
skills.
ie: never could diagram a sentence or tell ya what the heck an adverb was! But,
I had read a very great deal and I could form sentences and paragraphs which
'felt' right. In doing so, my English Prof thought it good enough to have
posted
that paper on the Department's 'good writing' Wall to be shared with others as
an example of, well, good writing.

In all things, first be Human - Feel Something. All else can be fixed, cured,
improved, and even photoshopped if need be, but if the image doesn't have
Humanity or Feelings in some way - it carrys little more merit than footage
from
a security camera. Maybe a very very expensive one, but 'security camera'
nonetheless! :-)
(a little much on the hyperbole there, but I'll leave it - made me smile
writing
it!)

Richard in Michigan

ps: Sonny- do you post in the cvugdigest mailing list (Cosina Voigtlander User
Group) your name looks familiar?

From: Sonny Carter <sonc.hegr@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [LRflex] Re: Smartest Forum Post - EVER! (imho)

I stopped posting my pictures here when I stopped shooting reflex.  I post
pictures to other lists, but have been reluctant here since I am mainly a
Leica M guy.   I comment from time to time, and stay in here, because i find
the banter interesting.
I post pictures of flowers each Friday, and I actually began it with Leica
Reflex, but now I shoot either with my M8 or with my Oly micro 4/3

http://www.sonc.com/friday_september_3_2010.htm