[LRFlex] Re: Sigma 39mm -> 80mm Zoom lens???

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:02:38 -0700

About the 28mm Tamron f2.8, Alex wrote:

I have one of these somewhere in SL mount, and it's a pretty good lens. If it's really cheap, it's probably worth buying. Seem to remember that David Young had one too.

Actually, I had the 24mm/f2.5 and it was both decently made and a remarkably decent performer. Not to Leica standards, of course, but certainly up to the standards of Rose's Pentax, which is pretty good!

Of course, the 21mm/f4 SA that replaced it is FAR superior.

The best part was that I'd bought it used, rather cheaply. It was destroyed in Bangkok and my insurance company brought me a brand new one. I was able to sell it for most of the price of Doug Herr's user 21SA. :-)

Of course, this brings up the debate as to whether Leica lenses are truly worth the extra that they cost. Personally, I say 'yes', but I suspect that most of the world would day 'no'. In fact, comparing the sales figures of Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta etc., to Leica's sales figures; I'd say they already have!

So, we know that all here like Leica and obviously think they ARE worth the extra. But, how many of us buy *new* Leica stuff?

Personally, everything I own (except the R8 the insurance company bought me to replace my R5) was bought used.

What say we do a quick poll...

What percentage of Leica gear do you buy used or new?

Everybody?

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm