[LRflex] Re: Shots from the archive

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:44:06 -0500

On 3/5/2010 7:30 AM, Walter Kramer wrote:
> The list seems quiet so here are some outstanding shots from the archive.

Walter,
    Also agreed about over-processing, especially with "auto-enhance"
options.  When I've done fooling with an image, I try to remember
to go back to the original image and see what I've lost.
    I like lot of these photos and need to take more time with
them.  I cheated and started walking through the whole stream in
Flickr, so I could see what they were shot with.  You are a very
adventurous photographer and try lots of different gear and films
and concepts, some stuff I didn't know existed.  And lots of it
worked out well.  562 is extraordinarily well timed. :-)
Ditto the cricketers.  Is that the ball actually on the bat?
546 gives a beautiful sense of the cozy sunny light, and has full
shadow detail and no burned highlights.  I find I can get
Adox CHS 50 in the states easily, in every size up to 8x10.
I'm going to try it.
    Quite a surprise when Australia jumps out at you, all that
traffic going the wrong way, all that lovely catenary over
the railroads.
    I ran into another photo of yours in your photostream that
wasn't in the above list, but it's wonderful.  It's 3940109261, the
BW cloud photo in the set "Nature."  The gradation and texture of
the clouds are almost tactile, and when you blow it up it looks
like very fine grain BW film, but it was shot with a G1.
    Did it come off the sensor like that, or was it done in
processing?

--
  Charlie Falke                                        _____      /\
  "One test result is worth                       |    |/        `o
    one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun  0  N4003M
  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein