[LRFlex] Re: Scanning (was Thanks for the warm welcome!)

  • From: Stasys Petravicius <stasys1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:45:33 -0700

on 9/30/04 9:59 PM, Bill Lawlor at wvl@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

"For 35mm neg scanning I tend to use my scanner's maximum resolution
(2700dpi), save it as a TIFF of around 20Mb,  then save a version at
240 dpi for printing and then as a 90dpi JPEG for publishing on the
Net. A tip I picked up somewhere along the line is that the
resolution of the print file should be exactly divisible into the
printer resolution (in my case practically 720dpi). Otherwise the
printer software will start interpolating, which is not good for .."

I learned about printing at 240 dpi last July at the Santa Fe Photography
Workshops. I took a class in digital printing taught by Bob Korn, printer
for Joel Meyerowitz and many top photographers. Bob said he always prints at
240 when using Epson printers. He compared 240 with other numbers and could
see no improvement above 240. I printed two images size 24X36 on Somerset
Velvet paper with the school's Epson 9600. 240 was just fine!  I wonder why
I never say the 240 setting in and of the many digital printing books and
articles I have studied?

Bill Lawlor

Bill- I was told in a Photoshop class at Santa Monica College that for
printing- use 220 dpi for Epson printers (also told the best for photo
printing). That is their optimized dpi. Stasys